On Saturday night (June 13) I decided to perform an experiment. I sent 3 tweets to see what sort of followers I would gain, and today I present the results.
First the tweets that I sent the fourth was suggested by the totally awesome @SurlyAmy who you should be following:
- Network Marketing Opportunity
- HHO Water Power
- Subluxation align chiropractic
- Hippy Idiot Liar
Since that time which was about (9:00 pm mst) and now (10:00 pm mst) I have gained 27 new followers, I’ll break them down below.
- Tianna Lynn (TiannaLynn78): Generic pretty girl account already suspended
- Virginia Green (LuTachison): A single tweet and a link to the Library of Congress
- belle (belletyler111): average adolescent tweets, no deep details on the bio or linked site
- Mike Hobbs (mikehobbs): Network Marketing/MLM/Internet sales and he has a “Seminar” to sell too
- Jarod M Farnham (jarodmicah): Another Network Marketer
- Pam Thompson (bewellbypam): And another Network Marketer
- UC Chiropractic (bharshe): Apparently he is a Chiropractor
- Rich OBrien (itsrichobrien): Network Marketer
- Mladen Bartolić (mbartolic): no tweets, no bio, no link
- MikeTheInfidel (freeplay): Skeptic/Atheist/Critical Thinker (my kinda guy)
- Joe Dawson (plumberjoeohio): A Plumber who tweets exclusively about…plumbing
- Greg Kelley (edumaster): A science educator
- zeta hanif (airempire95059): Suspended account
- plumbing guy (prettypipeplumb): Another plumber???
- Average Albertan (averagealbertan): Umm, an average albertan I guess.
- Edmonton Alberta (EdmontonFans): Generic gimick account
- Jenny Green (arithmeticsweep): Suspended account
- ilovebing (ilovebing): no bio but links to 4chan (please don’t hurt me anonymous)
- Marcus Richter (MarcusRichter): Vitamin pushing wootard
- Spray Adaptogens (SprayAdaptogens): The health product woo is strong with this one
- Néstor Pabón (HealthBeatToday): CAM homeopathy and Aromatherapy wootard and medical science denier
- Vancouver Canucks (canucksnews): A Vancouver Canucks fan
- Kerstin’s Chocolates (kerstinschoc): Edmonton based specialty chocolate shop
- Stargate Universe (stargateuverse): Fan of the as yet unreleased new Stargate spinoff
- pulseproject (pulseproject): Another Skeptic and follows the Awesome @SurlyAmy
- Nicole Draper (nicoleeislegit): another Myspace cam girl advertising for new “friends”
- Andy Lambros (andylambros): Internet “consultant”
From the looks of it I pulled in 4 network marketers, 2 supplement junkies, 1 homeopath, and 1 chiropractor. I didn’t even get a free energy fanatic.
On the plus side I did gain 2 new skeptics and a science educator so that’s cool.
On the weird side 2, I repeat 2 followers who tweet about PLUMBING????
To fill things in I got the usual follow junkies, fansites and cam girls. I haven’t checked to see if any of them are still following me I only went on the e-mail alerts so this is really an unscientific test but then again my targets weren’t that scientific either. It is interesting to note that the keywords do tend to bring the woo-bots down on you.
Oh and in case you missed the subtle hints earlier follow @SurlyAmy.